Thursday, June 6, 2013

Oldies but Goodies

It has its own carrying case!
A while back, I realized that I've had my comb since I was about 14 years old.  That blew my mind a little bit, but also made me incredibly happy.  Recently, I've noticed other things around my house that work perfectly well and that I like, but some are actually older than me.

Wallet
I bought my wallet at The Limited when I was in college.  It cost about $12 and was the smallest wallet I could find.  Apparently this was the time I began flirting with minimalism, or else I just had so much other crap in my bag I wanted to keep my wallet small.  Either way, I've had this thing for ~12 years, and I have no intention of getting rid of it.  Every now and then I think I should get a new wallet, but then I remember that I like the one I have, it's small enough to fit in my purse's cell phone pocket, and it still looks great!

Hand Mixer
My hand mixer is actually a hand-me-down from my mother and is older than me.  She bought a new one years ago and insisted that I take this one.  At first I was confused since I had previously never needed a hand mixer and couldn't think of a reason I would start, but then I learned to make mashed potatoes, and it's been true love ever since. This mixer is still powerful and has twirled its way through countless recipes in the ~10 years I've had it.  Built to last.

Sewing Machine
This is another hand-me down, but from my grandmother! My mother inherited it from grandma when she died and this is the sewing machine that grandma used to make countless projects over the years--including my baby blanket.  My mother was never very good at sewing, so she passed the machine onto me when I was in high school and I've had it ever since.  This thing is a tank, but it still works perfectly.  Maybe if I was a more adventurous sewer I would want to upgrade to a newer model, but for hemming pants and miscellaneous mending several times a year, I'll stick with Old Faithful.

Towel Set
I was in yoga the other day, and I realized that I was laying on a towel I had received as a High School graduation gift. I took the towel with me to my dorm, my first apartment and my move to Rhode Island.  It's not even that great of a towel, but it works perfectly well for hot yoga and I intend to keep it until it's completely threadbare and shredded--then I'll turn it into rags.

What do you have that you've had for years?  Do you have any items that you use that are older than you are?

1 comment:

  1. I still have the iron that I got as a high school graduation gift (1974 - "perma-press" is my friend...) and the various pieces of a wooden coffee table that survived several military moves during my childhood (but whose glued-together boards didn't like the heat in our Texas attic), as well as some fabric that my grandmother had bought and saved for me - how she knew a decade in advance that I'd attend a college with kangaroo mascot (only 2 in USA), I'll never know!!

    And, yes, we still have several towels received as wedding gifts nearly 32 years ago. When the dog sees them, he hides because they equal bath-time for Baxter!

    ReplyDelete