Thursday, June 27, 2013

Re-Buying Things

Remember when we used to all listen to music on cassettes?  Then those went away, or just got relegated to the car and we upgraded to CDs.  Then we upgraded again to Mp3s, but, thankfully, that was a less expensive transition.

In the interest of minimalism, I do not really own books anymore.  I have my Nancy Drew collection, because I collect them, but other than that and a few favorites that I re-read over and over, I have very few.  You won't find many other librarians who only have one bookshelf that's not quite full, I bet.

Now I'm taking it a step further, and have started re-buying some of those favorite books, this time for my nook.  I always really struggle with what ebooks to buy because if I'm going to actually pay money for a book, I want it to be one that I'll re-read over and over.  I am a big re-reader, but for some reason I always draw a blank when it comes to ebook buying--probably because I'm just out of practice when it comes to buying books at all.  After all, at the library, I can bring home armfuls of mediocre titles and not spend a dime, when buying books, well, I have to pay for them which just stings.

What stings even more, in this case, is that a lot of the books I'm converting to digital versions are book I actually bought in the first place.  Most of the physical books that have been in my house over the years have been found on library sale racks, where the cost a dollar (or I just take them and bring them back).  Last night I had to pay $9.99 for an e-copy of Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty.
Considering I bought most of her books in hardcover, this stings a bit.  But, my shelf is already slightly emptier, and I do like that.  I'll content myself with the thought that I can now enjoy Jessica Darling's antics wherever in the world I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment