Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December goals

November just flew by. Honestly, that month was a blip, but another reason it doesn't feel like December yet is that we haven't actually turned on the heat in our apartment yet! I remember the last two years, it was a struggle to not turn the heat on until November 1, but this year we've been just fine with a couple space heaters and a blanket. I love it!

November goals were to stop over-spending on clothes; continue putting money in savings; and try baking bread again. Well, I failed two out of three. I'm still saving, I actually opened my new online savings accounts through ING this month, and am very pleased (I've already made over a dollar in interest!), but I blew my budget on clothes again, and I still have the bread fear. In my defense, it's been hectic, and the first time I made bread it was so damn messy I just couldn't face that again.

I will bake bread again!

December is going to be a leaner than usual month because I'm losing some hours at work, but honestly, I could use a bit of a reprieve, so I'm not too upset about it. What that does mean, is that I actually need to stick to the previous month's goal and stop buying so many clothes! I don't know what's up with me, but I continue to struggle with this whole "work wardrobe" and that's costing me money. I wish I could just wear jeans, especially since I'm sitting at a desk and no one really sees my legs, but that's no allowed--sigh.

December goals:

  1. Stay on track, even though I'll have extra time on my hands. Extra time often equals extra temptation, but I want to end this year on a high note, damnit.
  2. Continue to save even though the savings will be significantly less. There's no reason to give up completely.
  3. Do yearly totals for 2010 and tweak 2011 budget. I have a better idea how much I'll be making per month in the coming year, so that should help me set reasonable goals for spending and saving based on previous years' spending and projected earnings. Doesn't it sound smart when I phrase it like that?
  4. Try some new recipes. My cooking has gotten a bit stale lately, mostly due to working all these nights and not feeling like making elaborate meals to eat at 3pm, but I need to add a few things to my repertoire. First off, I have a lot of barley, and I would like to use it. Cooking Goal 1, find something to do with the barley. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them (remember, I don't eat meat). Cooking Goal 2, find some other healthy, delicious recipes that freeze well.
  5. I also need to keep my protege on task, but that shouldn't be too hard. I have every confidence that she'll do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment