Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Spicy Tuna Melt Pie

This was unexpectedly wonderful. I read the recipe initially on $5 Dinners, and she basically said the same thing--unexpectedly good. I adapted the recipe a bit to match my own tastes (of course), but what I like about this is that you expect it to be more like a tuna noodle casserole--heavy, gloopy, but this one has three eggs, so it's more light and quichelike. Delightful!

Ingredients:
3 cans tuna, drained
1 can diced green chilies
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1 6oz can sliced mushrooms, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp hot sauce (I used 1/2 red tabasco and half green tabasco)
3 tbsp mayo
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup frozen corn
2 glugs olive oil

  • Preheat the oven to 450°. Lightly grease a quiche plate, pie plate or 9 inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  • In a large skillet, heat the olive oil add spinach. Saute for a few minutes, until softened. Add the mushrooms and green chilies cook for about 5 minutes.
  • In a large bowl, combine the tuna and mayonnaise, breaking up the tuna. Stir in the sauteed veggie mixture, add corn, then stir in most of the shredded cheese.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, flour and butter. Stir into the tuna-cheese mixture, then stir in the hot sauce.
  • Pour the spicy tuna melt into the greased pie plate, cake pan or quiche plate. Top with remaining cheese.
  • Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until is set in the middle and begins to golden on top.
1/2 cups cheese $1.25, 1 can mushrooms $1, 1 can green chilis $1.5, 3 cans tuna $3, 3 eggs $.55, spinach, corn, mayo, hot sauce, olive oil $1.

$5.80 for 9 servings, or $.64 apiece

*Note: I used spinach and corn just because I had some ends of them left in the freezer, but I think this has the potential to be one of those delicious kitchen sink type meals. I currently have some leftover salsa, which I may sub in for the green chilis next time I make this. The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment