Thursday, May 3, 2012

Things I'm Grateful For--Financewise

I'm an optimist by nature and I try not to get down about things, especially things I have little control over.  I feel like since starting my new job and adjusting to my new rate of pay with health, dental and union dues taken out, I've been a bit down in the mouth.  I feel like I've been playing catchup since January, but I know it could be much worse.  Therefore, I'm going to take a look at the things that are going on in my life, financewise, that really make me happy.


  • I don't have a car payment.  That makes me so, so happy.  I haven't had a car payment for a couple years, but every time I hear or read about someone's, I just get really glad that I'm done with that whole thing.  Yes, my car is kind of crappy at times, but it gets me where I'm going and should last quite a bit longer.  Plus, now that I own it outright, I can reduce my insurance coverage and save more money!
  • I can walk/bike to work.  I know I bring this up a lot, and I'm not trying to sound braggy, but I'm really, really glad I live so close to where I work.  Yes, walking 35 minutes there and back is sometimes a bit annoying (when I oversleep or when it's pouring rain), but when I look at gas prices creeping up, that makes me want to lace up my fashion sneakers all the more.
  • The Mayor of Providence loves libraries.  I've mentioned before, that the financial circumstances in The Ocean State are quite grim, and the city of Providence is presently on the brink of bankruptcy.  As someone who works for a non-profit that gets all of its funding from the (broke) city and the (broke) state, this is a bit scary.  Add to the anxiety the fact that in East Providence, two of their libraries just closed, and last year when the City of Central Falls declared bankruptcy, their library closed (thankfully, it has since re-opened with very limited hours)  But, we're very lucky in the fact that the mayor loves the libraries, realizes their value and has promised to keep our doors open no matter what.
  • I have the ability to cut costs.  If I had kids or a mortgage, I wouldn't have nearly as much budgetary wiggle room.  Since it's just BF, Wee Watson and I, we can go down to the bare minimum of spending without risking starving a child or living in a house without heat.  I do whine when I feel broke, but I also went to Old Navy the other day and bought a bunch of sports bras (which I needed and got a great deal on), so broke is just a state of mind.
  • I am the picture of health.  I've never really spent much time at the doctor's.  I never had a yearly physical when I was growing up, my parents only took me to the doctor when I was very sick, and as an adult, I rarely have had health insurance.  Thankfully, I've had few times when I really needed a doctor, and I enjoy eating healthily (mostly) and exercising.  Still, there's always that nagging thought in the back of your mind that maybe, even though you feel like you're doing everything all the current wisdom says to do to be healthy, maybe there's some flukey part of your genetics lying dormant waiting to kill you.  According to my recent bloodwork, I'm going to live forever, which has been my plan all along, hence all the retirement saving.  The only number that was high was my cholesterol, and that was only my good cholesterol.  It's nice to have that all sorted and charted out.  It's like my body's credit score!
  • I can move without pain.  Sure, this may not seem like it fits with the financial picture, but my recent running/yoga injury really reminded my how frugal it can be to control your own mobility.  I can walk/bike to work pain-free; I can do my job better because I can move around helping patrons which is good for them and the library (positive experience rather than me just pointing to something); I don't have to pay for any more prescriptions; I don't have to drive to the doctor's office or to physical therapy; I can use the gym membership I'm already paying for.  Also, I can run again, which makes me healthier and happier.  I can't imagine dealing with chronic pain or any chronic condition, and I am grateful every day that I'm not in that situation.  Health is the cheapest option.
What are you grateful for?

1 comment:

  1. This post put a big smile on my face. :)

    I also LOVE not having a car payment and getting back excellent blood work. Health is the ultimate in riches!

    ReplyDelete