Wednesday, May 23, 2012

If I Started Blogging Today I Would….

This is an interesting theme to reflect on.  The original prompt in the blogathon google doc says If you had it to do over again, what would you do different – use WordPress instead of Blogger.com? Pick a different topic? Share your wisdom to help other bloggers.

I don't know if I would do anything differently, honestly, not because I'm totally perfect, but because I had a very deliberate plan when I started this blog--and because I dislike regretting things, it's a waste of time.

When I had the first germ of an idea for this blog, it was because I was spending a lot of time reading other people's personal finance blogs and I had grown a bit frustrated with a few. Add to that the fact that I enjoy talking about personal finance, like giving my friends advice (solicited or not), and I like writing.  Before starting this blog, I already had three others and had been documenting the minutia of my daily life, library life and collaborating with friends so I certainly did not have the blog fear.

What worried me most, was having something to say that people would want to hear and hopefully would respond to.  I don't really know if I've been 100% successful at that, but I have people who keep coming back and commenting, so I'm doing something that some people like anyway!  What I've found, since I started detailing my financial adventures and misadventures, is that I like it a lot more than I thought I would.  I like that I'm being honest about my circumstances, and I like that I now have a community of like-minded people to bounce ideas off of.  I like that I got so much helpful advice about how the hell to get a mattress for less than $2000--you guys are the awesomest!

The main things I wanted to accomplish with this blog was to have something that is:
  1. Honest
  2. Well-written
  3. Helpful
  4. Funny (hopefully)
Whether or not I've been successful at all is up to you, gentle reader.  Once thing I do know, is that it will be time to cease and desist if I:
  1. Start taking pictures of my groceries (no offense to those who do, but that's not me, and I don't find it particularly interesting).
  2. I win the lottery and lose touch with the common man (Since I don't play the lottery, odds are good this will not happen).
  3. Run out of things to say and only post things my guest writers (that said, if friends have blogs they want to submit, I'm all for it).
Until those things happen, you're stuck with me, blogosphere!

No comments:

Post a Comment