Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sporty Link Love

Since racing season is just starting, and I may be running my first half marathon of the year while you're reading this, let's also take a moment to congratulate my friend from Elementary School (and facebook) who just completed her first Triathalon!  I often think that I'd like to do a triathalon, but I neither bike (2 miles to work doesn't really count) nor swim, so I'm at a bit of an impasse.  Not Erin!


Another Superwoman who consistently amazes me is SkinnyRunner, who just ran about a billion races, all over the country in a single week.  The final count was 160 miles in nine days--I barely run 160 miles in two months, and in the month of April, I ran 27.  This girl is a delightful combination of crazy, dedicated and determined and while I don't necessarily want to emulate her, I do like reading about it.


Doing anything that might be daunting in a group almost always makes it easier.  I rarely run with other people because I like to set my own pace, but the times that I have, I often find that the time flies by, and I'm more willing to push myself because I don't want to seem like a wuss.  It's similar with personal finance, you may feel like you're alone and the only person who doesn't know what you're doing, but that's never the case.  Active.com, which is one of my go-to sites for health and training info, made a nice list of 9 Reasons a Marathon Training Group is Good For You, and I think a lot of it applies to personal finance too!

One of my other favorite personal fitness blogs is Lotus and Pie (though I don't really think she eats a lot of pie...).  Not only is Jenn super ripped and awesome, but she posts tons of training videos that you can do at home. Yes, I've been too lazy to do most (any) of them, but it's nice to know where to find them and to read about her progress.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fellow blogathon participant, and a fellow runner! I hope the half goes well - I'm doing my first half of the season on May 27th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done the NYC Tri two years and am getting ready to do my third on July 8. Year 1, I swam on a relay team. I swore I couldn't do the whole thing because I couldn't (wouldn't?) run--then was so pumped up that I said I WOULD do the whole thing...and I did (thank you Couch to 5k and 5k to 10k!)...This year, I am on a team again as a last minute sub (didn't think I'd be in the country to participate, but they changed the date...)..

    BUT. I can't train in a group because I am so. friggin. slow. I trained in the pool myself, I ran myself (except for ONE friend) and biked myself.

    I am that slow.

    Here's my post from after last year's tri. LOVE it.
    http://www.babfeasts.com/2011/10/catching-upi-did-it-two-plus-months-ago.html

    ReplyDelete