Monday, March 26, 2012

How to Use Up Leftovers While Doing a Juice Fast

Before I started my fast, I tried to eat up all the things in the fridge that would go bad or that BF wouldn't eat.  I was trying to eat light the week before the fast, just so going without food for the first few days wouldn't be so painful, but even with my extreme focus, I wasn't able to eat everything.  Thankfully, I had a few leftovers that I was actually able to incorporate into my fast.

  1. Leftover boxed salad.  Yes, it felt weird to blend this, but it was a mix of 1/2 romaine lettuce and 1/2 spinach, which is perfect for a juice!
  2. Leftover beets.  I had a lone beet sitting in my fridge just waiting to become juice--and it was tasty.
The rest of the leftovers will hopefully keep, and I can try to entice BF to eat some of them by serving them to him on a plate.

In fasting news, I am now on day three, and am really starting to wonder how long I'm going to be able to do this.  I'm not hungry at all, actually, but I do miss the act of eating--a lot.  Going to the movies last night and listening to BF eat delicious, delicious popcorn almost did my head in, but I stood strong and did not even sneak a kernel when he went to the bathroom.

The problem is that I feel dizzy and light-headed.  I have a history of fainting, usually around a certain time of the month (read: now), so I'm a little worried that my timing was poor for this fast.  I also have had a headache basically since I stopped eating.  I often get headaches when I need food, so I know where this is coming from, but I thought it would have passed by now, especially since some people have found that fasting reduces or eliminates headaches.  Even though it's against the principle of detoxing, I took some excedrine a couple hours ago and it did make me feel better.

I just got back from a long walk and from running some errands, and the fresh air and exercise seem to have perked me up.  I've been a lethargic slug since starting this little adventure, and am really starting to wonder when this super energy that people say fasting gives you is going to kick in. After sleeping 8.5 hours last night, I ended up taking a disco nap in my reading chair while trying to read a book.  Yes, the book was a bit bland, but I usually don't fall asleep like that.  I don't now if that's the fasting, or the lack of caffeine.

The plan right now, as of midday day three is to keep this up for at least today, and see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow.  I have the day off today, so even though it sucks that I have this headache, it's only impacting my lolling around.  If it's like this tomorrow when I have to go to work, I'm going to eat something, even if it's only breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't juiced with beets in a long time. I need to revisit that. Yesterday morning, I juiced a blend of carrot, apple, and ginger. That's my "go to" juice. You have great willpower. I totally would have grabbed a handful of popcorn!

    ReplyDelete