Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Vegetable Fried Rice

This is one of my favorite cheap and filling meals.  However, I told my best friend about it a while back (she's a bit of a foodie), and she said "sounds awfully bland."  I don't find it bland at all, and it makes the perfect side dish.  I usually bring it to work since it travels well, and just needs a quick zap in the microwave.

It's good, she's a jerk.

Ingredients:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil-- 6tbsp
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
4 cups cooked brown rice--follow directions on bag
spices to taste--I use oregano, basil, salt & pepper

Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil on medium.  Add herbs and stir to coat with the oil. Stir in the corn and cook 3-5 minutes
2. add the black beans and cook 3-5 minutes longer
3. add the tomatoes, stir to combine and heat 3-5 minutes
4. add the cooked rice, stir to combine, and heat through

Total cost for the recipe: $4.25
Cost per serving: $1.06

Honestly, this is way more than four servings for me.  Usually, I divvy up the finished product between two one-quart square containers, and freeze one.  That way, I don't get sick of it, and nothing goes bad.  To defrost, just move from freezer to fridge and wait a day.  Microwave as usual and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment