Thursday, January 31, 2013

Weekend Reading: Here I Go Again

Here I Go Again by Jen Lancaster

At first glance, you might not think this book has much to do with personal finance, but you would be completely wrong!  In a nutshell, this book is about Lissy Ryder, who was basically the Queen Mean Girl when she was in high school.  Twenty years after graduation, on the night of her High School reunion (they're always so dramatic in books and movies, aren't they?), her life basically falls apart and she's forced to reconsider all of her horrible choices.

I don't want to give too much away, plotwise, but trust me when I say that this book is hilarious escapism at its best.  Lissy starts off the book as a completely despicable, self-absorbed person who loses everything--and it's so satisfying.  Then, gradually, she learns to become a better person.  It sounds completely sappy and disgusting when I describe it, but it's quite witty and hilarious.  Eventually the main character realizes that she's so mean because all of the women in her family are incredibly mean, and the trait has been passed down through generations: "Grandmama's big claim to fame is once having made Jackie Kennedy cry.  She's still proud of that too, like it's her crowning achievement."

Personal financewise, Lissy is a complete gong show.  She works as a publicist, but barely shows up for work choosing instead to spend time at her gym stalking Oprah and working on her tan.  So naturally, she's cut loose right away.  Since she has no savings--her life is in shambles!  She has to move back into her bedroom at her parents house, and ends up depressed and eating her feelings.  Lesson one: have an emergency fund!

Anyway, highly enjoyable read, and I'm obviously very bad at writing book reviews for books I actually liked.  Check out the book discussion page at Blogher.com for people who are better able to put their feelings into words than I am.




I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions expressed are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment