Friday, December 9, 2011

Food Waste Friday: Too Much Comfort Food


I made this recipe last week: Gnocchi Mac and Cheese, which sounds phenomenal.  I'm all about any excuse to eat cheese as a main component of my meal, and over the years I've perfected my baked mac and cheese recipe, so I figured this one would come our amazing as well.  In the interest of not having a super-heavy meal, I added some baked broccoli, and kind of made it up as I went along.

It was good, but very, very heavy.  BF and I each ate some (I had two servings), but then it languished in the fridge for more than a week.  I wanted to want to eat it, but then the weather got really warm, and the thought of that much heavy food was just not appealing.

So, I trashed my creation, but I can't say that I wouldn't ever not make it again.  I think next time, I'd add some squash to the cheese sauce, and think of some other way to lighten it up a little.  That gnocchi was heavy!

2 comments:

  1. The September 2011 issue of Cooking Light magazine had a macaroni & cheese recipe that used butternut squash. A few people I know commented on FB that they made it and it was really really good...I looked and while it's not on the CL website, I think this was probably the recipe:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-light-macaroni-cheese-50400000115195/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about too much comfort food. It tastes great while you are eating it, but you are miserable afterwards. Maybe I'll look into the Cooking Light recipe also.

    ReplyDelete