Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Why I Don't Need A Smart Phone

My brother has that second one, and he accidentally
dials me from his pants pocket all the time--not smart.
Obviously I want my phone to be smart enough to make calls, and text, but that's about it.  It seems like every day another of my friends gets a smartphone, and every now and then I get a little jealous of them.  But once I sit back and think about it, I realize that the jealousy is just "shiny new gadget" jealously and isn't really me, it's just me being such a good actress gushing over a phone that I've even convinced myself!

Yes, it might be handy to have a smartphone, but I've lived a full life thus far without one, and I think I'm going to keep on keeping on in my way for quite a while.


  1. Too expensive.  First you pay for the device, and then in order to use the device to its fullest potential, you need the huge data plan.  I currently pay ~$50/month for my non-smart phone, and even that makes me grumble sometimes, especially when I consider that I use it mostly as a clock.  I've asked around, and no one that I know pays less than $100/month for their smart phone.  Do I want to double my phone bill?  Answer: no.
  2. Too distracting.  Do I really need to play Angry Birds whenever I have a moment of downtime?  Do I need to check facebook every ten minutes?  Do I need an app that simulates bread toasting?  Yes, a gadget-loving co-worker has told me about a few comparison shopping apps that might be a bit awesome, but I'm certainly not going to save any money with them if I double my monthly phone bill!  I won't let her trick me, she's already talked me into buying a Nook that I never use.
  3. I already have a GPS--that's another practical use for a smartphone that certainly applies to me, but I've already got that base covered AND it was only a one-time fee, technically a gift.
  4. I kind of hate people with smartphones.  I've found, that having a smartphone around means that you have to google everything all the time, or you just constantly have it in hand for one reason or another.  Yes, it's handy it you want to spontaneously go to a movie, or if you're off on an adventure and you need to make new plans, but you can also figure things out.  I like relying on my ingenuity, or speculating about something rather than just having the (sometimes dubious) answers right there.  If I really, really need the internet, I can call someone, or the library, and have them google it for me.  I've done it before.
  5. I want my phone to be a phone--and sometimes a clock.  That's all I really need, and I barely talk on the thing anyway.  I hate talking on the phone and I much prefer texting or IMing, which is clunky on a smartphone.
So yes, sometimes I'm made to feel like a Luddite, but honestly, if all your friends have smartphones, save your money and just make them do all the "smart" stuff you may need.  They'll feel proud of their gadget, and you'll feel proud of your bank account.

5 comments:

  1. I don't have a smart phone yet, but I'm hopping on the bandwagon in October. The main reason I want one is for work. It would be nice to be able to get into my classrooms when I'm out and about! BUT I do see your points for sure. If our phone bill ends up going way up, it might not be happening. Luckily, thanks to my job we get a 22% discount at Verizon, so I'm hoping that will even it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the only reason I would ever get one is for work. People at work keep assuming I have one because I'm the "Young, tech-savvy gal" but I just want to be like: Hello! Do you realize how little you pay me!?!?

    Also, it was a bit annoying the last time I flew Southwest, and couldn't check in until 2 hours after my allotted time, but I still got a decent seat, and loved to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My phone bill is less than $100. And GPSes don't stay up tp date without paying additional fees for map updates.

    I can't help but feel this lil bloggy is directed at me, your latest smartphone toting friend. I got your Harry Potter tix with that phone! While sitting on the beach! Harumph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not directed at you! Its been brewing for a while, and clearly you having the smartphone makes my life much easier i.e. Harry Potter tix :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a smart phone either, but I did recently (last year) move from Verizon to StraightTalk, which is a prepaid service. You can get the cards at Walmart or online. I pay $30 a month and get a way better package then I got from Verizon. My phone isn't an iphone or android, but I can get a few Java apps on it. I love the gmail one. I can't look at every website but I can get some basic info through the phone's browser. It's good when I need to look up a phone number or an address when I'm out. But I agree with you about finding people who have smart phones to be annoying. I can't stand people that can't seem to put their phone down for 5 minutes!! Having dinner out with my cousins now is really irritating because every 2 seconds their phone dings and they have to pick it up and then type a response and then of course look at whatever anyone else posted on Facebook. I don't want to be one of those people!

    ReplyDelete