Monday, February 7, 2011

No Buy Month: Week 1

So far, so good.

My spreadsheet budget is full of little stars--I give myself a star * when I don't spend anything for a day--it makes me very happy. I got paid on Friday, and half of it went toward paying off the balance on my Amex, and the other half into savings.

Successes:
  • Went out to dinner with a friend, but used a Groupon that was set to expire next month. Tiny portions of pretentious food for free for me!

  • Going to the theatre for free on Wednesday this week because a dear friend is the theatre's PR person--it's good to have friends with kick-ass jobs.

  • Eating my way through the pantry. I bought groceries about a week and a half ago, but we're steadily eating our way through the hoarded food. I'm going to try to underspend on groceries this month as well and eat mostly what we have in staples.

Setbacks:

  • I got a Groupon for mail-order wine, so I spent $18 on shipping and tax, but soon I will have a wine stockpile that will last a long time.

  • I got stuck in the unplowed parking lot at work, and in order to get out, a kind student and I had to chip away at an iceblock under my car. I don't know what exactly happened, but now my power steering doesn't work, which is incredibly unsafe and makes driving in town nearly impossible. To the mechanic I go first thing this morning, and I'm hoping it's something that a quick patch and fluid refill can solve. Fingers crossed.

I'm feeling fine, which is the most important thing. I'm not having a crazy urge to go out and buy things, I'm mostly just looking forward to filling up that savings account. Plus I'm busy enough this month that I should be plenty distracted from temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment