Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ratatoille!


Note: this may actually just be roasted vegetables and not actual ratatouille, but I'm going to call it ratatoille anyway. Apparently, some rules state that ratatouille must have green peppers in it, and I do not care for green peppers. Wikipedia says tomatoes are the key ingredient, but that the dish should be sauteed. Whatever this thing is that I made, it's fantastic, cheap and healthy.


Here's my version:
Ingredients:
1 medium eggplant
2 medium yellow squash
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
olive oil
salt, pepper, oregano, parsley to taste

  • Chop the eggplant first into cubes. throw in colander and salt liberally to soak up some of the juices. Set aside in the sink to drain while you chop the rest of the vegetables.
  • Chop squash and slice tomatoes. My tomatoes were small enough to just cut in half--squash should be in small cubes same size as the eggplant.
  • Once all the vegetables are chopped, put them in a large bowl. Rinse eggplant, pat dry, and add that to the bowl.
  • Pour in a healthy amount of olive oil, add salt, pepper and desired spices then mix gently with your hands until the vegetables look well coated.
  • Spread mixture out onto cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
I first put this over pasta, which was excellent, but then I just ate the rest by itself with a little sprinkle of parmesan, All total, I got four meals out of this--actually five because the bf has some too. Double bonus, this dish seems to get more flavorful as it sits in the fridge. I just had the last of it, and am longing for more.

I forgot to save the receipts, but this cost next to nothing. I got the tomatoes from my gardening co-workers so all I had to buy were eggplant and squash.

1 comment:

  1. Green peppers are the equivalent of iceberg lettuce and red delicious apples. Boring.

    Side note: did you know that green peppers are just unripe orange/yellow/red peppers? This is the reason they taste so crappy. This is one of the many things I learned from gardening last summer.

    ReplyDelete