Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Monthly Goals

It's August-- did you notice that? It certainly caught me off guard. In order to keep my spending in line, and because I like making lists, I'm going to try my hand at monthly goals. A lot of other frugality bloggers do this, and even though my big goal is always to spend less than I make, I thought I'd try to incorporate some smaller goals as well. We'll see what happens.

  1. Start planning to menu plan. This is like a pre-engagement ring (a promise to pledge that we'll one day consider getting engaged), but it's the best I can do right now. I cannot just dive into this because for whatever reason, I have a huge mental block when it comes to menu planning. Also, I need to start including my boyfriend in the meals I make because his diet is appalling and I don't want him to die in the next five years. So, I need to figure out what I can make that we will both enjoy, and that's cheap. By September, I should have a better idea of how to make this all work...hopefully.
  2. Cut down on spending, and make a little more money. I've been slacking in the freelance writing department, and haven't made much money in the past two months. I have a hard time accomplishing anything when it's hot out, but now it's starting to feel a bit more crisp and fall-like, which means I need to get back to work. I also have two half marathons coming up that I need to pay for--best get cracking.
  3. Get back under budget. I've been doing well in some columns, less well in others. I'm a bit proud of the fact that I reduced my prescribed budget amount for food by $50 and am still under budget for the year by $200. That's despite going out for restaurant week and going on vacation for ten days. Insert pat on back. But, I'm over in the clothes column, and my misc (which doesn't have a prescribed limit) has been higher than I would like. I need to reign it in, and start putting more into savings.
I think three is a good place to start, I like the number three.

Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. Good luck! :)

    I just started setting goals this month too. I'm hoping to be able to save up some money and a few other things.

    You really should menu plan! It's not as hard as it seems (although there are some Thursdays I just don't want to do it!) but it really does save you money and makes you more conscious of what you are eating.

    ReplyDelete