Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Financial Literacy Month

Apparently, April is Financial Literacy Month--who knew? I got my daily email from Learnvest.com, which sounds like an educational clothing company, but is actually a pretty awesome resource for tips on frugal living, investing etc. I'm a fan.

For financial literacy month, the LV staffers went through their financial goals for 2011. It's funny because some of their goals were sensible--start to track spending, save more, etc., and then I stumbled across the five-year-plan.

The notion of trying to figure out where I'm even going to be in five years is daunting and actually impossible, but I remember that this is actually something I used to think about--in an abstract way.

It seems like the five-year plan, at least to me, is a bit of a relic of the past. I used to hear about it, and haven't for years. This may have something to do with the current economy--it's hard to plan when you're not sure what's going to happen next; but maybe people just don't make five-year plans anymore, or they don't talk about them as much.

The most I've ever done is a two-year plan, and even that was very loosely-formed. Maybe this is something I need to think about more, or maybe, like menu planning, this is just not for me. It's interesting to ponder.

Does anyone out there have a five-year plan? How does it work for you? Is it just a financial plan, or a life plan? It seems like it would have to be a life plan, but it's possible I'm waaaaaaaaay overthinking it.

1 comment:

  1. I have a five year plan (and a ten year lol). And I love it. Since I started to writing one it's really helped me to focus and stay on track. I think as long as you accept that things will change and are pretty fluid with it, it's a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete