Monday, December 19, 2011

2012 a.k.a. The Year Everything Changes

Those loyal, longtime readers will (hopefully) realize that I am not often given to grand pronouncements like the one above, that's why, after officially signing the paperwork today, I get to say that I start 2012 with.....




A NEW, FULL-TIME JOB!!!

That's right, gentle reader.  At the tender age of 32, I have finally acquired my first full-time job.  Along with the professional satisfaction of advancing in my chosen career, this job also brings:
  • A liveable wage 
  • Health Insurance for the first time in nearly three years
  • A retirement plan with employer matching
  • A civilized schedule of 37.5 hours per week and TWO WHOLE DAYS OFF EVERY WEEK!!  What the hell am I going to do with all that downtime?  I need some hobbies...
  • Dental insurance
  • Vacation Days
  • Sick pay
  • No more commuting!!
New job, which will henceforth referred to as Perfect Library Job (PLJ) is two miles from my house.  It's actually my turnaround point when I run my four mile loop, so not only can I walk to work, I can also bike to work on my swanky new bike!

Bike is currently nameless, suggestions welcome
I bought my new-to-me bike yesterday from a very nice girl who is moving to Oregon, and who threw in two bike locks at no extra cost!  I found out very quickly, however, that while one never forgets how to ride a bike, one's skills do atrophy.  I haven't ridden a bike since high school, and I was a bit shaky, but with a few practice rides, I should be just fine.  I'm a little scared, but I'll persevere!

Fear not, those who were fearful, now that I have gainful employment I promise I won't go all Hollywood and forget my frugal roots.  Even though I'm making a little more money, and saving a TON on gas, I still have student loans to pay, and have no excuse to go nuts and become an extravagant person.  I now have the privilege of saving more, is how I'm looking at it.

Posting may be a bit spotty in the coming week since I'll have company, but I'll certainly be back with a year end post, and probably some other bits and bobs too--who knows!!  Frugality is everywhere!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!!! What a fantastic early Christmas gift! Can't wait to hear about the new job after Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!!! I'm so happy for you! :) Well-deserved after all of your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to revise my post due to saying "hard word." Yeah, that too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot woot!! Woot for Library jobs and Woot for bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Looking forward to reading about your new experiences!

    (and your bike looks like her name is Sapphire...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! I hope the new job is everything that you want it to be!

    ReplyDelete