Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Going through changes

I've been conspicuously absent from the blog this week, sorry about that. Last Thursday was the first day of my new job, so I've been frantically memorizing names and policies, trying to figure out where the pens and mini-fridge are, etc. Despite the overwhelming task of learning a new job, I'm not nearly as exhausted as I expected to be, which I think I can take as a sign that I'm pretty damn happy in my new place.

The hardest thing so far has been the thing that's always hardest when encountering a new source of income--not spending money I haven't earned yet. I always get way ahead of myself and start anticipating what I'll earn then spending it before it arrives. Then my new income isn't new anymore, just regular, and I don't feel like I've made any progress at all.

I have gone shopping for new work clothes, but used primarily birthday money, so didn't wreck my budget, but I keep finding myself shopping for new large items that I never would have considered on my previous income. I haven't bought anything, but I keep browsing almost unconsciously. It's bizarre.

The other big adjustment is rearranging my cooking mindset. Since I'm working primarily nights, that means I will be doing my cooking in the afternoon, which just feels weird to me. I'm used to working nights, I did it for years all through college and grad school, but back then my idea of cooking was throwing some boxed or bagged pasta in the microwave. I've been meaning to make ratatouille and blog about it, but I never feel like tackling a big cooking project in the afternoon.

I'm not afraid of change in any way, but it's always the little things that you couldn't anticipate that end up mattering the most. At least as far as not spending money I haven't earned, I've kept myself in check pretty well by just knowing myself and my spending habits, but it's more challenging than I anticipated.

Does anyone have any other tips for keeping your spending in line in the face of shiny new money?

No comments:

Post a Comment