Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why is My Soda So Big?

I don't drink much soda. I don't have a taste for it, fake sugar gives me headaches and it seems like (is) a huge waste of money and calories.  That said, when I was running my most recent 1/2 marathon, at mile 11, someone handed me a small cup of coke and it was the most delicious thing I think I've ever tasted.

Since I had just run 13 miles, I decided to treat myself to a coke on my drive home from the race.  I stopped at Burger King and ordered a small coke.  I was shocked when they handed me a 16 ounce cup that just looked huge.  Even though coke was the thing I wanted most in the world right then, I certainly didn't want that much.  I drank about half of it and started to feel ill, but then I felt wasteful for wanting to throw it out and had a little more.

This is why the whole ban on large sugary drinks in New York seems like a good idea to me.  When you get more than you want, you drink more than you want.

BF and I visited Niagara Falls a few years back and stopped at Tim Horton's on our way across the border (this is a funny story, bear with me).  I ordered a small cappucino because I love those terrible powder + water cappucinos that you get at a gas station or a Tim Horton's and I only buy then on long roadtrips.  In Niagara Falls, Ontario, I ordered a small and received a 12 ounce cup.  Then we crossed the border into New York state and a few hours later stopped for a bathroom break. I decided to treat myself to another Tim Horton's cappucino, and found that when you order a small in America, it's 16 ounces.  Same brand, same logo, same delicious flavor--difference sizes.

 The other side to the argument, in my mind, is that by ordering the larger size, you reduce the amount of packaging used.  If I had gotten a 16 ounce cappucino in Ontario, would I have wanted another once we got back to the states?  Would I have wasted two cups? If someone actually wants 44 ounces of soda, shouldn't they just get it all in one cup instead of buying two?

I go back and forth on this idea all the time, which is odd for someone who doesn't really order beverages other than beer (which comes in a reuseable cup or recyclable bottle/can).  When I order a 16 ounce coffee at a coffee shop, no matter how tired I think I am when I get it, by the time I've had about 12 ounces, the stuff that's left is cold and gross and I don't want it.  Similarly, the last few drinks of my precious Burger King coke were watered down and kind of ruined the experience.  But I love value!

It's a strange debate and I hate to seem like we need to be saved from ourselves, but we probably need to be saved from ourselves.  I've got a pretty well-honed sense of discipline, but I still snack if food is around and I still drink more soda than I actually want.

I'm curious how other people feel about this.  If the government interfering by limiting the size of sugary drinks, or are the just stopping us from killing ourselves?

5 comments:

  1. Drinks are definitely a lot bigger these days it seems. And also where I live, the bigger you go, the less it costs. I'm not sure why! I can get a large drink for around $1 at most places, but if you want a small then it is almost always MORE at McDonalds and the gas stations around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I remember even back in High School, it was frequently 99 cents for a 2-Liter of soda, but $1.29 for a 20oz. What??

      Delete
  2. I always order the smallest size at starbucks because i know i just dont need that much coffee. also, i used to work at a movie theatre when i was 16 (um, 12 years ago!?) and the small then is VASTLY different than a small now. I order the small and they're always trying to upsell me and I'm like "are you kidding?! I can't drink that much soda!"
    I dont know about new york...on one hand, i get it, on the other, i feel its a stereotypical nanny law. I'm torn, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Businesses certainly won't do it on their own, but yeah, nanny laws... I seriously go back and forth on this one all the time.

      Delete
  3. The problem is even a ban on big soda will do very little, if anything, to promote healthy choices!

    ReplyDelete