Friday, August 1, 2014

Save Time

Time is money, right?  This is the age-old frugality debate--if your time is worth X and it takes Y minutes to save $, is the savings actually worth it?  Note: I did not do well in Algebra, so that equation may make no sense, but hopefully the point comes across.

I'm a huge fan of saving time, and the biggest way I do it is by trying to live as unfettered as possible.  I try to minimize the amount of stuff I own, so that I don't have to spend a lot of time maintaining it; I try to streamline my grooming so that I don't spend 45 minutes of my morning staring into the mirror; and I try to streamline my tasks by doing a few things at once (if possible--and safe), taking out the recycling piecemeal as I leave the house to do other things rather than all at once, washing some dishes while my dinner cooks, etc.

One thing that I can't streamline is running errands.  I know a lot of people rely on amazon prime + subscribe and save to cover this need, but I can't really predict when I'll need the things I buy on the regular (or I could, but I'm too lazy), so trips to Target and the grocery store remain a necessity.

One thing I am a bit intrigued by is the Dollar Shave Club.  I remember seeing on Oprah (I think it was Oprah--a talk show of some kind, anyway), a woman who said she replaced her razor every six months--maybe.  I'm fully guilty of that as well, especially now that I've had laser hair removal on my legs and underarms (saves time!).  I still need to do some maintenance, and so I reach for my year old Mach 3, and wonder why it doesn't do the job as well as I'd like.

I would never become a member of something like Birchbox (cause I don't really wear makeup), or any kind of fruit of the month club, but I am intrigued by the notion of having things I like or need sent to my house on a monthly basis without me having to think about it.  I find it comforting.  I also like the fact that dollar shave club's basic razor actually costs a dollar, AND it's not pink.

Has anyone tried a service like this?  How do you save money and time on daily tasks?

No comments:

Post a Comment